The primary objective of this role is to provide professional and curriculum leadership for Modern Foreign Languages and to ensure excellent outcomes for students in the Subject Area.
Accountabilities of the Role
- To support and promote the ethos and values of The Bridge Academy.
- To lead the Design Technology Team, ensuring that they consistently reach the highest of standards in all that they do, including the achievement of students in the Subject Area.
- To ensure outstanding curriculum provision which is exceptionally well structured, and enables students to develop an excellent understanding of key facts and processes and a deep understanding of and love for the subject.
- To ensure that the performance management of staff within the Subject Area is high quality, challenging and formative, and that any underperformance is dealt with swiftly and effectively.
- To ensure that all roles and responsibilities within the Subject Area are at the appropriate level, clearly defined and well understood.
- To ensure effective provision and develop outstanding teaching and learning, attainment and progress across the Subject Area.
- To develop outstanding marking across the Subject Area, with a particular focus on impact.
- To keep abreast of developments in Design Technology, to ensure that changes and developments in course content are introduced and delivered in a timely manner.
- To ensure that all assessment within the Subject Area is high quality and robust.
- To have an excellent understanding of the Subject Area’s effectiveness, and to make highly effective use of data to set targets and identify and tackle underachievement quickly and effectively.
- To facilitate enrichment opportunities for students as appropriate (for example, extension classes, trips etc).
- To maintain high standards of behaviour in the Subject Area, both in classrooms and on the corridors, and across the Academy as a whole.
- To develop an ethos within the Subject Area where students consistently tackle challenges positively and do not give up.
- To ensure that good relationships are fostered between the Subject Area and parents, which support excellent student behaviour and progress.
- To execute all duties to a high standard.
- To observe colleagues as part of the Performance Management, Professional Development, ECT or Quality Assurance programmes and give objective feedback, setting targets for improvement where appropriate.
- To comply with any reasonable request from the Head of Learning Area or SLT to undertake work of a similar level which is not in this job description.
- To support the Academy in key events during holiday time (for example, KS4/5 exam results days).
Qualifications and Professional Attributes
- Qualified Teacher Status.
- Relevant specialist qualifications and experience in your subject specialisms, (Textiles and Resistant Materials), with the ability to teach up to KS4. (The ability to teach Product Design at KS5 is desirable).
- Commitment to improving practice through reflection, appropriate professional development and through being open to advice and feedback.
- Evidence of continuing professional development or relevant research.
Professional Knowledge and Understanding
- Evidence of commitment to the principles and policies of equal opportunities.
- Secure knowledge and understanding of a range of Assessment for Learning strategies.
- Secure knowledge and understanding of how to make effective personalised provision for all students, including those for whom English is an additional language and students who have special educational needs.
Experience and Skills
- Leadership skills, attributes and professional competence.
- Proven excellence as a classroom practitioner at secondary level across the ability range.
- Proven track record in improving teaching and classroom practice, bringing about specific improvements for the school by constantly striving for excellence.
- Strategies to engage and inspire students and application of ICT in teaching and learning.
- Department development planning.
- Analysis and application of data to teaching and learning and to inform planning drives and focuses on success.
- Experience of developing and sustaining positive relationship with parents, staff and students.
- Knowledge and understanding of safeguarding children and promoting the welfare of children.
- Decision-making skills – the ability to solve problems.
- Communication skills – the ability to make points clearly and understand the views of others.
- Self-management – the ability to plan time effectively and to organise oneself well.